Although physical media is far from the powerhouse market which it was in the heyday of DVD, it’s something which I’ll continue supporting to my dying day. If you’re a Marvel fan who simply must have all of the films on the best format possible, then you’ll be pleased to know that the Marvel Cinematic Universe films will be heading to 4K Ultra HD.
The studio has released all of their films on 4K beginning with GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2, but as for the films released before that point, only THE AVENGERS, AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON, and the CAPTAIN AMERICA trilogy have made the leap into 4K. While speaking with Collider, CAPTAIN MARVEL executive producer Victoria Alonso revealed that they’re in the process of remastering the rest of the MCU movies.
We are going to remaster all of our films in 4K. We’re in the process of doing that, so it’s all happening.
There’s no word on just when these 4K remasters will be released, but I know that I’ll definitely be picking up the first IRON MAN movie right off the bat. Memories.
The next MCU film to hit Blu-ray/4K Ultra HD will be CAPTAIN MARVEL. Here’s the special features which will be found in the Blu-ray/4K Ultra HD releases:
- Alternate Movie Versions
- Movie with Intro – An introduction by directors/screenwriters Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck.
- Movie with Commentary – Commentary by directors/screenwriters Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck.
- Becoming a Super Hero – Follow Brie Larson’s journey as she joins the MCU, and see what it takes to be a Marvel Super Hero in every sense of the word.
- Big Hero Moment – Explore how impactful Captain Marvel’s entrance into the MCU is, and how she inspires audiences around the world.
- The Origin of Nick Fury – Witness some of the MCU’s most significant events through Nick Fury’s eyes, and see how his influence helped shape the MCU.
- The Dream Team – Discover why Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck are the perfect pair to direct Marvel Studios’ most powerful hero.
- The Skrulls and the Kree – Take a deeper look into the Skrulls and the Kree, their ongoing conflict, and the importance of shifting perspectives in the film.
- Hiss-sterical Cat-titude – The cast and crew dish on working with Goose and the raw talent it takes to portray such a complex character on-screen.
- Deleted Scenes
- “Who Do You Admire Above All Others?” – Kree Commander Yon-Rogg must answer to the Supreme Intelligence, who questions his leadership ability.
- Starforce Recruits – Yon-Rogg lectures a roomful of students on the Kree’s mission to defend all nations from the scourge of the Skrulls.
- Heading to Torfa – Vers (Danvers) and her fellow Starforce members banter as they prepare for their rescue mission to Torfa.
- “What, No Smile?” – In this alternate version of a scene from the movie, Vers is consulting a map when she receives a dubious offer of assistance.
- Black Box – Keller attempts to track Vers and Fury after their escape in a quadjet from the Joint USAFA Facility.
- Rookie Mistake – Novice S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Phil Coulson helps Director Keller out of an embarrassing situation.
- Gag Reel – The fate of the universe hangs in the balance as the cast battles props, flubs and Flerkens in these outtakes from the set.
- Journey into Visual Effects with Victoria Alonso – Experience how filmmakers’ visions of the MCU come to life on-screen through the skill of the Visual Effects team.
- What Makes a Memory: Inside the “Mind Frack” – What does it take to craft an action-packed sequence for a Marvel Studios film? Nothing short of an epic team effort!
- Concept Art – Explore artwork from “Captain Marvel” and trace the visual development of characters.
- On-Set Images – Uncover a trove of behind-the-scenes and production photography.
You’ll be able to pick up CAPTAIN MARVEL on June 11th.