While we await the release of ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD, Deadline has announced that Quentin Tarantino has teamed up with Sony Pictures Television for “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Quentin Tarantino Present the Swinging Sixties,” a series of ten films personally curated by Tarantino.
The ten films all served as a specific influence in the creation of ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD and will premiere in the U.S. on the Sony Movie Channel from July 21-25, with two films airing each night leading up to the release of ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD. Specially created conversations between Quentin Tarantino and film writer/historian Kim Morgan will accompany each film, and we’ll also get a first look at select scenes from ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD. Now, let’s see which films Tarantino has chosen:
- BOB & CAROL & TED & ALICE (1969) directed by Paul Mazursky.
- CACTUS FLOWER (1969) directed by Gene Saks.
- EASY RIDER (1969) directed by Dennis Hopper.
- MODEL SHOP (1969) directed by Jacques Demy.
- BATTLE OF THE CORAL SEA (1959) directed by Paul Wendkos.
- GETTING STRAIGHT (1970) directed by Richard Rush.
- THE WRECKING CREW (1968) directed by Phil Karlson.
- HAMMERHEAD (1968) directed by David Miller.
- GUNMAN’S WALK (1958) directed by Phil Karlson.
- ARIZONA RAIDERS (1965) directed by William Witney.
“Sony Pictures made their Columbia Pictures catalog available to me so that I could select a series of films representative of the era in which Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is set, The Swinging Sixties. I’m thrilled to host these movies so we can enjoy them together,” said Tarantino in a statement, with Mike Hopkins, Sony Pictures Television Chairman, adding, “Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood promises to be a cinematic event. We’re excited to support it and bring these fantastic films from the studio’s historic library to SPT’s network audiences around the world.” As there’s definitely a few films on that list which I’ve never seen, I’m looking forward to checking them out.
Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Al Pacino, and many more, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD takes place in 1969 Los Angeles where everything in changing. TV star Rick Dalton (DiCaprio) and his longtime stunt double Cliff Booth (Pitt) attempt to navigate an industry which they barely recognize anymore. The Quentin Tarantino film will hit theaters on July 26th.