Last year, the 91st Academy Awards aired without a host for the first time in thirty years. This wasn’t the plan, as they had offered the gig to Kevin Hart, who stepped down just days later when controversy erupted after the comedian’s past homophobic jokes and tweets re-surfaced. Thankfully, the host-less format actually worked out and Karey Burke, entertainment president for ABC, announced during the Television Critics Association’s winter press-tour that the upcoming 92nd Academy Awards ceremony will also be moving forward without a host.
Together with the Academy, we have decided there will be no traditional host, repeating for us what worked last year. [It will have] huge entertainment values, big musical numbers, comedy and star power.
Just like last year, it seems that the Academy will be enlisting big stars and musical numbers to deliver an entertaining evening. Burke added that they “did consider” returning to the host format this year. “There was a lot of conversation which way we are going and maybe there may be a day when we decide to have a host again but the focus has been on most entertaining show,” said Burke. Last year’s Oscar ceremony saw an increase in ratings, and Burke is “extremely proud” of how that show turned out. “It was so entertaining, it was filled with surprises, it was tight, and I think you saw the results of that with the ratings being up by double-digits,” said Burke, adding that the potential movies in contention this year could make for an equally star-studded group of presenters. We’ve got JOKER, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD, THE IRISHMAN, and others likely in the running, so we’ll see if the host-less format pays off for the second year in a row. The 92nd Academy Awards ceremony will be held on February 9, 2020.
What were your thoughts on last year’s Oscar ceremony and do you think the host-less format is the way to go for the future?